Step two...

The next phase of online self indulgence.
I made the mistake of monkeying around with my original BLOG located here http://here2ventandwine.blogspot.com/ and ruining it.
I am useless.
I am starting over..and here we go.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Life Lessons Blow ...sometimes

I am slow...

I just got back from a run and I feel good because of it. I am in 'not bad' shape for an old fucker.



They have been 44 rough and tumble years and I have my aches and pains starting. With the start of every fall season  I inevitably begin to wonder just how many more years I have before I have to start toning 'er down a bit..

I am not out of this yet..and if I can keep the beer gut down by a wee bit of mild road work. well, that is a good thing.



Yesterday I got to watch my son compete in his annual cross country event.

It filled us all with pride and joy but it was also heartbreaking.

There is one boy in the city who unfortunately is just a wee bit faster than Owen.

He had Owens number last year and this year the situation was exactly the same.



It is a 3 km race through hills, fields and wooded pathways and on top of that yesterday was wet and miserable.
All the participants showed guts.

My middle daughter Ella competed in her age group and improved considerably from last year with a placement of 35 out of 96.


I am amazed that she can bring the energy she does to a sport where she is constantly in her big brothers shadow.
She does however, and not only that she is Owens biggest fan and really takes pride in his achievements.

Owen trained hard all year and was hoping for a win. He had decided to start his kick way earlier based on the way the route was laid out this year.
I think it was the right decision and when he came into the last 400 metres he was out in front...Oh my heart was in my throat...




However...the boy from last year was at his heels and out kicked Owen in the end...it broke Owens spirit and he actually fell off and let yet another boy pass him.



3rd place out of about 100 participants.





Poor kid was in tears...

He just kept saying ...I had him...I had him..

All the family was there with all the usual soundbite hallmark bullshit..

"not whether you win or lose"..."always next year"...bla bla bla



And to my boys credit he didn't want to hear any of that shit either. He got beat pure and simple...and that hurts..
It must hurt so bad to be so close....to prepare for something with a goal in mind then to see it slip away ...and only by a matter of metres..


It was amazing to watch really...these young athletes pushing themselves to their limits...a cool little rivalry has developed between them and they will be attending the same high school in a few years...





Both Owen and Jonathan could barely breath when they crossed the finish line and I know Owen left it all out there this time...and for that I am so incredibly proud of him.

Inspiring really.

Sigh
It really is a gift to be able for him to compete at such a high level and for that I am happy for him
.

BUT GOD-DAMMIT!!!!!

;o/

No comments:

Post a Comment