Step two...

The next phase of online self indulgence.
I made the mistake of monkeying around with my original BLOG located here http://here2ventandwine.blogspot.com/ and ruining it.
I am useless.
I am starting over..and here we go.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Options...

Well...One of my guitars is now spoken for.

I feel very good about this. There is 'some' residual anxiety but not enough to keep me from moving forward with the sale.
This is normal I guess...I am a corny dude and not without sentiment.



It was the archtop that sold, and that guitar has been with me for about 14 yrs...as long as I've known my wife. It has been a big part of my life and now it is leaving.
If I wasn't effected to at least some degree I wouldn't be human...( wait a minute??...lol..)

The good news is it is going to a good home. A friend of mine stepped up and claimed it. A very good friend.

Mark is a guy that I have known since I was a kid. He was one of my first real 'music' teachers.He found his way into my life when I was a teenager at a time when I was looking hard for a direction that I couldn't find...
I was playing professionally in a 'rock' band...making good money..and more importantly getting the attention of the chicks!!...lol...
The music I was playing was absolutely mindless...just mindless...but it was easy and a part of me needed the adoration...mostly my penis.

Musically I knew there had to be more...but ...there was no internet...no decent radio...no good record stores...no way to find anything that wasn't already readily apparent.

Lunch-bucket town..closed minds...zero options...

Then I met Mark.  He was the first real musician that I'd ever met. He wasn't a Jazz player...or even an improvising musician per se...but what he was and still is , is one of the most eclectic Cats I have ever run across.
He digs everything..everything that  is quality and has artistic value.
I had one guitar lesson with him and after he invited me over to his house to see his record collection...all vinyl...lol....

...It literally covered his entire living room wall!!!



The first recording he played for me was Mike Sterns Upside downside....Well...that was it ...



I knew..right then and there that I was done with 'the cliche'...

Well...to be fair ...my legitimate study was clandestine...on the weekends I still was playing REM, Doors,U2..
..Money and Ass....

Anyway Mark opened my eyes...for better or for worse..'Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then..'

I will always owe him for this.

He now owns my Archtop. It is part of his Potvin collection of god knows how many guitars. His house is like a museum.



I stopped by there the other night.
I had explained to him that I was hoping for a boutique hand wired amp when all was said and done with the guitar liquidation.
He was all over this!!
Once again he opened my eyes...

I spent the better part of 2 hrs playing through thousands and thousand of dollars worth of boutique , modern and vintage amplification...

He has mountains of really cool shit...like I mean drool cool if you are a guitar head...

At the end of the day the nicest tone I had been exposed to was a Custom made tube amp built by some dude from Windsor ON!!!!
..this feels like fate...
What a sound...I am ruined....lol...

This has given me a new direction...and I actually have some mad money in hand...very exciting..

Armstrong amps. ..made by Bill Compeau.

Bill is also involved with ARK Amps in Farmington Hills MI....

They are on my radar  now...courtesy of Mark...lol....and they are works of art...

In truth, Bills amp is a bit ugly looking...but the sound is like the voice of god...



Paired up with one of the ultra sexy KW cabinets and I believe I will be more than happy.



So ...New Pickups in the Eastman, pray for the sale of my other guitar, unload my Fender deluxe RI, and wring my hands for the Tax return dough...Cool times...

I also picked up an Overdrive unit from Mark called of all things...The Blue Note...It sounds incredible..

So far..the New Year is fun...

On the other hand...there has been a girl murdered in town. The daughter of a co worker that had only recently retired. A super great guy.
She also used to be a student employee...
WTF....

WHY??

The world is so shitty sometimes that it is important to remember to actively seek out happiness..through heroic measures if necessary...
..even if it is only the search for good guitar tones...
Whatever your thing is...go get it..

Don't wait...cause god only knows...


1 comment: